علومي
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleek Dark Button

Go down

Sleek Dark Button Empty Sleek Dark Button

Post by 3loomi Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:58 am

Sleek Dark Button

Step 1

First of all you’ll need to create a new Photoshop document – thesize I’ve chosen is 600 by 420 pixels just like all my other tutorials– but the button will be considerably smaller ;) With that open, fillit in with a dark radial gradient (I’ve used the colours #131313 and#090909).Sleek Dark Button 018_step1
Step 2

It seems to be quite popular to add noise to backgrounds so I’lljust quickly teach you how to achieve that effect: with your backgroundlayer selected go Filter > Noise > Add Noise with Amount 0.5%,Distribution Uniform and Monocrhomatic ticked. It isn’t too noticeableon this dark gradual gradient but with lighter colours, and moredistinct gradients, it would be more visible.Sleek Dark Button 018_step2
Step 3

Now it’s time to form the button: create a new layer and using therounded rectangle tool (radius set to 5 pixels, width: 250 pixels andheight: 40 pixels) create a rectangle in the center of the document.Any colour will do (I’ve used white so that it is easier to see).Sleek Dark Button 018_step3
Step 4

Next, we’re going to be applying a gradient overlay to our buttonusing layer styles. Go Layer > Layer Styles > Gradient Overlayand apply these settings:Sleek Dark Button 018_step4a
This gives it a nice shiny look with a result of:Sleek Dark Button 018_step4b
Step 5

The next step is to add the text for the button which can be done using the text tool.Sleek Dark Button 018_step5
Step 6

The next section of the button is the little icon beside the text:I’ve used a slightly different font style for the down arrow to makesure it is clearly defined. If you didn’t know how to make a doublearrow simply hold down the Alt key and type in the numbers 1, 7 then 5– it’s just an ascii symbol short key – and then rotate using transform(Edit > Transform > Rotate or Ctrl + T).Sleek Dark Button 018_step6
Step 7

Now we’ll just make the background for the down arrow icon: usingthat rounded rectangle tool we used before, make an 11 by 11 pixelssquare with a radius of 2 pixels. Again it doesn’t matter what colouryet, we’ll be changing that very shortly.Sleek Dark Button 018_step7
Step 8

Apply this gradient overlay to our new layer in the same way we did with the button.Sleek Dark Button 018_step8a
Result:Sleek Dark Button 018_step8b
Step 9

The button isn’t standing out very much, so to fix that we’ll add ahighlight underneath. To do this select the button layer’s area (ieCtrl + Click the button’s icon in the layers window) – we do thisbecause we want to have the same curvature of the button without toomuch effort.Sleek Dark Button 018_step9a
Fill the selection with a reflected gradient with your foregroundcolour set to #95c622 and background #486e10. To do this: left click inthe center of the selection and drag to one of the sides and release(ie it will reflect from where you start the gradient). Keep theselection (as I have).Sleek Dark Button 018_step9b
We only want the highlight to be a couple of pixels high (ie: a highlight) so nudge the selectionup two pixels by tapping the up arrow key (on your keyboard). You cannow deselect your selection (Ctrl + D). Now we want to move thehighlight below the button so nudge the layer down two pixels by tapping the down key while holding the Ctrl key.Sleek Dark Button 018_step9c
Step 10

So that’s the button complete, to add a hover effect in Photoshopsimply means that when your mouse is hovered above the button itchanges slightly so that it is obvious that the user can click it.Create a new layer above the base button layer (the shiny gradientlayer) and select the area of the button and apply a radial gradientfrom white (top) to transparent (bottom) in the selection.Sleek Dark Button 018_step10a
To tone down the brightness set the blend mode of this layer to overlay and the opacity to 50%.Sleek Dark Button 018_step10b
If you’d like to follow on with the coding of this button and create the rollover effect in CSS continue this tutorial here.
3loomi
3loomi

الجنس : Female

عدد المساهمات : 826
النقاط : 52419
التقييم : 10
تاريخ التسجيل : 2010-09-01

Back to top Go down